Today we are going to discuss how to cook Afang soup it will give you, all the help you need to make your native delicacy. If you follow our guidelines on how to make Agang soup, then you will be able to prepare your delicious meal at any point in time.
Otherwise called okazi, it is one of the most African soup eaten by Efik and Ibibio people(Calabar Delicacy). It is one of my favorite meals, the food is popularly known as Afang soup is very nutritious and medicinal and also is a delicious food made with Afang leaves and a leafy vegetable called waterleaf or Malabar spinach.
Ways to Make Afang Soup
In this afang soup recipe, you can use shelled clams and small shelled apple snails, smoked dried fish, periwinkles, fresh or dried shrimp, crabs, oysters, or any other type of seafood you love.
Ingredients Needed to Prepare Afang Soup
Here are all the ingredients that are needed to cook your delicious native delicacy.
1. 1kg pound meat- or any kind of meat you enjoy and cut in bite-sized pieces.
2. two pieces of smoked fish.
3. three pieces of stock fish.
4.Bunches of water-leaf.
5. half cup of cooked shelled Apple snails.
6. Afang/Okazi leaf.
7. Hot chill pepper.
8. one chopped onion.
9. two Cups Periwinkles with or without the Shells on.
10. one cup dried prawn.
11. half cooking spoons fresh ground Scotch Bonnet pepper
12. one Cooking Spoon Crayfish Powder
13. one Knorr Chicken Cubes to taste
14. two Crayfish
15. Add Salt to taste
1. Get a clean pot, wash meat, and boil properly.
2. Slice both onions and scotch bonnet peppers, and keep it aside
3. Heat in a large stockpot, braise the goat meat with one of the onions, scotch bonnet peppers, 1 tablespoon bullion, and 1 tablespoon salt for 30 minutes or until the meat is ok.
4. Add one cup of water and stir the meat to prevent it from burning. Keep the pot covered during the braising process.
5. While the meat is braising, wash the afang leaf in warm and clean water to remove dirt. Pick off the tough stems, but save the tender stems and leaves. Chop and keep aside.
6. Break the leaves a little more by using food processor/ mortar and pestle.
7. Once the meat is done braising, Set aside. In a deep pot heat up the palm oil on medium heat, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes. Add in the snails and clams, and continue to fry
8. Add in the goat meat and reserve the braising liquid. It is a flavorful stock, and will soon be used.
9. Add all your spices, then add in the chopped waterleaf.
10. Once the waterleaf starts to wilt, add the Afang leaves and stir.
11. Add your braising liquid to the soup, turn down the heat on medium, and continue cooking with the pot covered for another 10 minutes.
12. Taste the soup for seasoning.
13. The food is ready to be served
Steps on How to Cook Afang Soup
- Get a clean pot, wash and clean your stockfish thoroughly and boil, then add your already seasoned and boiled meat and stim for 5minutes.
- Add onion and chill pepper, Reduce heat and cover to stim.
- Place the periwinkles in the boiling water, cover the pot and cook for 5minutes.
- Remove snails from the shell, wash the snail meat in cool and clean water, sprinkle with lime or lemon juices.
- Add periwinkles, dried fish, and waterleaf to the pot of stockfish. Cover the pot for 5 minutes.
- Add your salt to taste, one Knorr Chicken Cubes, palm oil, add your afang leaves with crushed dried prawns, and cook till soft and tender.
What to Serve with?
2. Pounded yam
Meanwhile, for your comment and contribution on How to Cook Afang Soup at any point in time, please do make use of the comment box below.
And again if this article was helpful to you please do well by sharing it on your social medium platform for your family and friends.